This calculator will assist you to determine whether you satisfy the residence requirements for an application for conferral of Australian citizenship.
Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements
To satisfy the residence requirements you must:
- have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident,
- not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying.
Lawful residence means living in Australia on a valid Australian temporary or permanent visa.
If any of the following applied to you in the past 4 years, please telephone the Citizenship Information Line on 131 880 during business hours to discuss your circumstances.
- You obtained an e-visa to replace an expired Resident Return Visa (RRV)
- You obtained a bridging visa of any type
- You lodged an onshore application for a permanent visa then travelled overseas on your temporary visa
- You are a New Zealand citizen on a Special Category Visa (SCV)
If you were granted a permanent residence visa onshore your permanent residence date is the date that visa was issued.
If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is your date of first arrival in Australia on this visa.
Under some circumstances you may be eligible to apply for an exemption to the residence requirements or be eligible under the special residence requirement. For more information see Residence Exemptions or Discretions .
You will need to provide documents to support your claims at the time you lodge your application.
If you believe that you are entitled to an exemption from the residence requirements, and have documents to support your claims, you can apply for an exemption.
The following dates must be provided for the residence calculator:
Periods when you have been outside of Australia
Please enter all absences from Australia in the last 4 years.
The travel dates may be stamped into the passport you used for your travels. Look for stamps with the words 'departed' and 'arrived' and enter the dates in the 'from Date' and 'to Date' fields.
If you intend to travel before lodging your application, include those future dates as well.