Working holidays overseas for Australians

​The Working Holiday Maker programme encourages cultural exchange by allowing young adults (aged 18-30 years inclusive) from partner countries to have an extended holiday in Australia, and young Australians to have holidays in partner countries. During these holidays they can engage in short term work or study.

Australia has Working Holiday Maker arrangements with a number of countries and regions. These reciprocal arrangements are negotiated bilaterally to provide Australian citizens the same opportunities overseas that are enjoyed by Working Holiday Makers visiting Australia. These visas might have different names in some countries.

The programme comprises the Working Holiday arrangements and the Work and Holiday arrangements.  Work and Holiday applicants, including Australians wanting to travel overseas under the programme to Work and Holiday partner countries, are required to meet additional eligibility criteria.

The Australian Government is currently negotiating Work and Holiday arrangements with a number of countries. Details of any new arrangements will not be disclosed until an agreement is reached. Information about new arrangements will be available on our website.

What do arrangements allow you to do?

Generally each country allows you to:

  • stay in the arrangement country for 12 months
  • work for a limited time to supplement your travel funds
  • study or train for a short period of time.


To be eligible for Working Holidays and Work and Holidays, you must:

  • hold an Australian passport
  • meet health and character requirements
  • be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying
  • have no dependent children accompanying you
  • have a return ticket, or sufficient funds for a return or onward fare
  • have sufficient funds for the first part of the holiday.

Eligibility for Work and Holidays in the USA

If you want to travel to the USA under Work and Holiday arrangements, you are required to be sponsored by a registered sponsoring organisation. There is a list of sponsoring organisations on the US Department of State website.

You must also meet one of the following:

  • be enrolled as a post-secondary student
  • be enrolled as a post-secondary student and have deferred study
  • have graduated within the last 12 months from a post-secondary institution.

Eligibility for Work and Holidays in other countries

If you want to travel to Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Hungary, Indonesia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay or Vietnam under Work and Holiday arrangements, there are additional eligibility requirements. These include, but are not limited to:

  • a letter of approval from the Australian Government supporting the application
  • tertiary education (individual countries have specific requirements)
  • functional Spanish if you are travelling to Spain or Peru
  • basic Spanish if travelling to Chile, Argentina or Uruguay
  • basic Portuguese if travelling to Portugal
  • basic Bahasa if travelling to Indonesia
  • a police check and medical certificate of good health if travelling to Malaysia.

AFP National Police Check
Work and Holiday Visa (High Commission of Malaysia)

Letter of government support for reciprocal Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) partner countries

The letter of government support for Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Hungary, Indonesia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay and Vietnam is issued by the ACT and Regions Office in Canberra.
You are required to provide scanned colour copies of:

  • a valid passport
  • one other form of identification with current residential address
    Example: Telephone account
  • your tertiary qualifications, a letter from your university confirming the level of study, or academic transcripts.

You can provide this information by email to:

Partner countries

As each arrangement has been negotiated individually, visa criteria and the application process vary between countries. For specific information on Australia's Working Holiday Maker arrangements with other countries, you will need to contact that country's embassy or high commission.

Below is a list of countries and regions that have reciprocal Working Holiday Maker arrangements in Australia.

Countries with reciprocal Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) arrangements

CountryContact information
Belgium Embassy:
Canada High Commission:
Cyprus, Republic of High Commission:
Denmark Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Estonia Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Finland Embassy:
France Embassy:
Germany Embassy:
Hong Kong Special
Administrative Region
of the People's Republic of China
Embassy :
Ireland, Republic of Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Italy Embassy:
Japan Embassy:
Korea, Republic of Embassy:
Malta High Commission:
Netherlands Embassy:
Norway Embassy:
Sweden Embassy:
Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office:
United Kingdom High Commission:

Countries with reciprocal Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) arrangements

CountryContact information
Argentina Embassy:
Bangladesh High Commission:
Chile Embassy:
Hungary Embassy:
Israel Embassy:
Indonesia, Republic of Embassy:
Luxembourg Embassy:
Malaysia High Commission:


Poland Embassy:
Portugal Embassy:
San Marino Consulate:
Singapore High Commission:
Slovak Republic Embassy:
Slovenia Embassy:
Spain Embassy:
Thailand Consulate:
Turkey Embassy:
United States of America Embassy:
Uruguay Consulates:
Vietnam Embassy:

A list of foreign embassies and high commissions in Australia is also available on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.