Returning home voluntarily


To find out about returning home voluntarily, talk to the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

IOM is an international organisation that can give you independent support and information about how you can return home.

When talking to IOM, ask about the type of help they can give you.

Depending on your situation, you may get help to rebuild your life back home.

You can get help to organise your departure.

To return home, you need a travel document, such as a passport.

IOM can help you apply for a travel document if you don’t already have one.

When you apply for a travel document, you will need to provide identity documents to prove who you are.

Getting identity and travel documents can take time. If you are thinking about returning home, arrange your identity documents and travel documents as soon as possible.

If you decide to return home, you may need to fill in some forms.

Talk to your family and let them know you’re coming home.

IOM can give you more information about the assistance you may receive, once you get home.

For more detailed information about returning home voluntarily, talk to IOM at any time.

Talking to IOM is confidential and will not affect any protection claim you have.

IOM will give you up-to-date information that will inform your decisions about returning home.

To contact IOM in Australia visit, or email

To contact IOM in Nauru, email

To contact IOM in Papua New Guinea, email

Copyright and usage

Creative Commons License
Returning home voluntarily by Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.​​​​​​​