Request to correct the personal information on my ImmiCard

​Your ImmiCard contains the personal information (including surname, given name and date of birth) that was recorded at the time your ImmiCard was issued.

Under Australian Privacy Principle (APP) 13 of the Privacy Act 1988, the Department is required to take reasonable steps to ensure that its records are accurate, up-to-date and complete, relevant and not misleading.

If you believe the details on your ImmiCard are incorrect and you have documentary evidence to support the change, you can submit an ImmiCard amendment request form. The best evidence you can provide is a passport.

Depending on the evidence you provide, the Department might correct your personal information and issue a new ImmiCard with the previous identity details printed on the back. Your out of date ImmiCard will be cancelled and you will no longer be able to use it through VEVO or the Document Verification Service (DVS)​.  The Department cannot issue a new card until the old card has been returned.  You will be advised how to do this.

If the Department is not satisfied with the evidence you provide, we might decide not to update your principal identity records. A written response will be sent to you within 30 days that outlines the reasons for the refusal (except where it would be unreasonable to do so), and how you may make a complaint about the refusal.

The Department might update your records in the future following a thorough identity or visa assessment if we are satisfied that the details you have provided are correct.

Freedom of Information

What do I need to correct a card?

You can request a correction to your ImmiCard through the ImmiC​ard amendment request form.

You will need to provide your personal details and ImmiCard number.  You will also need to provide certain information that is available on your Visa Grant Notice.  It is important that you enter your details exactly as they appear on the Visa Grant Notice.

The form also requires an email address and an up-to-date Australian residential address.

Evidence of Your Identity

You will also need to provide high level (600 dpi) scans of all identification documents that support the corrections you are requesting. We will only accept documents that have been certified.

If the identity documents you provide do not contain a photograph, you will also need to upload and attach a recent photo of yourself.

Who can certify my documents?

In Australia, copies of documents can be certified by officials, such as a magistrate, justice of the peace or bank managers. A full list of occupations can be found online.

We will also accept a stamped certification from your service provider.​

What if you are applyin​​g to amend an ImmiCard on behalf of a child under 18 years of age?

A parent or guardian will need to apply on behalf of children under the age of 18. If you are the child's parent or guardian you will need to provide proof of your identity as well as proof of your relationship to the child. For example, yo​u can attach a certified copy of a Medicare card or other documentation authorising your guardianship or custodianship.

If you do not have such documents, you will need to visit one ​of our offices to verify your identity.

You can request a correction to the child's ImmiCard through the ImmiCard amendment request form.

When will my card be​​​​ delivered?

If your​ request is successful, you will be advis​ed to return your original ImmiCard to the department. Please do not return your original ImmiCard until advised. On receipt of your original ImmiCard, we will issue you with a new ImmiCard within 14 days in the corrected identity details with the previous details on the back of the card. Do not resubmit your application or contact us during this time.

​If your request is not successful, you will receive an email stating the reason why.

If you are not at home when the ImmiCard is delivered, you will be able to collect it from the Australia Post office named on the delivery slip left in your post box. To collect your post office you will need to prove who you are by showing your Visa Grant Notice or Medicare​ card.​​