More information for students

​On this page

Student visas granted before 30 June 2016

Information is available if you hold a Student visa (subclass 570-576) or a Student Guardian visa (subclass 580).

Study in Australia

Use the Studying in Australia website to make an informed decision about studying in Australia.

The website has information for international students studying and living in Australia, including:

  • Australian education providers
  • courses
  • scholarship programs
  • testimonials from international students. 

Genuine temporary entrant requirements

To be granted a student visa, applicants must be a genuine temporary entrant. This means they must have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.

Health insurance for students

All student visa holders must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance while they are in Australia.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provides medical and hospital insurance for student visa holders. You can purchase OSHC online by visiting the OSHC insurer's website. You might be able to arrange and pay for OSHC through your educational institution.

English language requirements for students

All international students are expected to meet student visa English language requirements.

Find information on the types of English language tests accepted by the Australian Government

Financial capacity requirements

Students must meet financial capacity requirements. This means they must have enough money that is genuinely available to pay for travel, course fees and living costs for the period of stay in Australia. Students will be asked to make a declaration and may need to provide evidence of their financial capacity for the first 12 months.

Changing courses

Changing your course or education provider

If you are thinking about changing courses you must continue to meet your student visa conditions.

Closure of an education provider

Students who are affected by an education provider default can get assistance from us or the Tuition Protection Service (TPS).

Education provider default occurs when the provider closes or can no longer deliver a course that the student has enrolled in. 

Extending your stay in Australia

Students may wish to extend their stay in Australia. 

Visa conditions for students

Student visa holders must comply with a number of visa conditions so they can continue to study in Australia. Breaching a visa condition may result in their visa being cancelled.

There are different conditions for stuents and their family members.

Work conditions for student visa holders

Working in Australia

Students may be able to work in Australia.


Superannuation information for student visa holders.

Studying in Australia survey

Australian Education International conducted a survey of international students in six countries to examine student perceptions about studying in Australia.

The survey found that the most important factors that influence where a student chooses to study include:

  • The quality of education
  • The cost of tuition
  • The cost of living

See: New research on studying in Australia views from six key countries

Welfare arrangements for students under 18

Students under 18 must have adequate welfare arrangements in place for the length of the Student visa or until the age of 18.

Information for 7-Eleven workers

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection is working closely with the Fair Work Ombudsman and the 7-Eleven Independent Franchisee Review and Staff Claims Panel (the Fels Wage Fairness Panel) to investigate underpayment of 7-Eleven workers.

We have information about our policies in relation to visa cancellation if you are a 7-Eleven worker and you are considering approaching the Fels Wage Fairness Panel.

Search all visas

Search visas