Extending your stay


A student visa is a temporary visa that allows you to come to Australia for a specified period of time to study at an Australian educational institution.

It is important to be aware of the expiry date of your student visa as you must either depart Australia before it expires, or lodge a new visa application.

If your visa does expire you need to contact the department immediately. If your visa has expired for more than 28 days an exclusion period may be imposed which means you cannot return to Australia for three years.
See: Community status resolution service

If you are eligible, you may extend your stay in Australia for reasons such as further study, graduation, a holiday, work or migration. You can only extend your stay in Australia if you do not have a 'Further Stay Restricted' condition (8534 or 8535) on your current student visa. You can find out if you have this condition by looking in your visa grant information or through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)
See: Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

In general, you can only hold one visa at a time. A new visa (other than a bridging visa) will generally cease any other visa held and come into effect as soon as it is granted. You should contact the department before lodging a visa application if you have questions about how a new visa would affect your existing visa.

Search all visas

Search visas