Individuals and Travellers

Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) document checklist

​You must provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application​.​

You must provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.​​​

If you applied online, certified copies of original documents can be scanned and attached to your visa application through your ImmiAccount.


Applying online:
  • Form 47SP Application for migration to Australia by a partner
  • Form 40SP Sponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia
Applying by post or in person:
  • Form 47SPApplication for migration to Australia by a partner (552 kB PDF)
  • Form 40SPSponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia (256 kB PDF)
  • Two copies of Form 888Statutory declaration by a supporting witness in relation to a Partner or a Prospective Marriage visa application (84 kB PDF) (to be completed by two Australian citizens or permanent residents who have personal knowledge of your partner relationship).
  • For anyone included in the application who is 18 years of age or older and is not your partner:
    • Form 47aDetails of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over (238 kB PDF).
  • For each person included in the application who is 16 years of age or older:
    • Form 80 - Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment (373 kB pdf).
  • If you are bringing a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in your application:
    • Form 1229Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (238 kB PDF).

Receiving assistance

Complete these forms only if you are lodging a paper application:

  • If someone gives you advice or lodges your application for you:
    • Form 956Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance (133 kB pdf) (the agent or exempt person completes the form and you must sign it).
  • If you would like someone else to receive correspondence from us on your behalf:
    • Form 956aAppointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (116 kB pdf) (the recipient completes the form and you must sign it).


    If your sponsor has paid the visa application charge for you then you must provide the original receipt to show they have paid and you must lodge your application by post or in person.

Your personal documents

Your identity
  • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
    • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.
  • A certified copy of your birth certificate showing both parents' names. If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must provide a certified copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
    • family book showing both parents' names
    • identification document issued by the government
    • court-issued documents that verify your identity.
  • A national identity card if you have one.
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

  • If you are unable to provide any of these documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.
Your relationships
  • If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a certified copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or statutory declaration separation documents.
  • Evidence that you and your prospective spouse have met face-to-face as adults and are personally known to each other.
  • Evidence that you will marry your prospective spouse within nine months of being granted the visa (such as a letter from the person who will officiate at the wedding).
  • Evidence that you and your prospective spouse genuinely intend to live in a married relationship.
  • Written statements showing the history of your relationship, such as:
    • how, when and where you first met
    • how your relationship developed
    • when you became engaged
    • joint activities
    • significant events in the relationship
    • your future plans as husband and wife.
Your children
  • Certified copies of birth certificates or the family book showing the names of both parents of all your dependent children.
  • Evidence of financial dependency for all your family members aged 18 or older (such as evidence of current studies):
    • a certified copy of their birth certificate and proof of their relationship to you
    • proof that they live in your household
    • proof that they have been financially dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application.
  • If any dependent child included in the application is adopted: certified copies of the adoption papers.
  • If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application, you will need documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as:
Health and character documents
  • You and all dependents, regardless of whether they are travelling with you to Australia, will need to undertake health examinations. The results of a health examination are valid for 12 months. Do not organise your health examinations until you are asked to do so by your case officer.
  • Police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age. Provide the original certificates and keep a copy for yourself.
Documents for your prospective spouse (and sponsor)
  • Evidence that the sponsor is a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. Evidence can include a certified copy of:
    • a birth certificate
    • an Australian passport or foreign passport containing evidence of permanent residence
    • an Australian citizenship certificate
    • for New Zealand citizens, evidence of length of residence in Australia and of continuing links with Australia.
  • If applicable: a statement from your sponsor about:
    • anyone else they have previously sponsored or nominated for a Spouse, Partner, Prospective Marriage or Interdependency visa
    • the sponsor’s relationship with them
    • when, how and why the relationship(s) ceased
    • the dates of lodgement of any sponsorship or nominations (including any current sponsorship) or assurances of support
    • the amount and frequency of child support payments.
  • If you are including a child younger than 18 years of age in your application:
    • an AFP National Police Check for your sponsor, if the sponsor has spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age
    • police certificates from each country in which the sponsor has spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since turning 16 years of age.
  • If your application is made on or after 18 November 2016, your sponsor will need to:
    • provide police checks when requested
    • consent for the department disclosing to you any conviction for a relevant offence.