The Government Agreement visa (subclass 406) closed to new applications on 24 November 2012. You cannot apply for this visa.
You might be able to apply for the
Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403).
This information is for people who have already been granted a Government Agreement visa (subclass 406). It explains your rights and obligations.
You can use
Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.
What this visa lets you do
This visa allows you to enter Australia either:
- under the terms of a bilateral agreement between Australia and another country
- to direct the operations of one of the following organisations:
- the British Council
- the Alliance Française
- the Goethe-Institut
- the Italian Cultural Institute.
- enter Australia at any time
- do the work or activity specified in the relevant government agreement
- direct the operations of a listed company, if applicable
- bring your family with you to Australia
- enter and leave Australia while your visa is valid.
You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.
During your stay in Australia, you and your family must:
- maintain adequate health insurance
- continue to meet the requirements of the visa you have been granted
- meet Australian taxation obligations if you work in Australia.
While you are in Australia you must:
- not stop working or stop doing the activity that was listed in your visa application
- not work in a position or engage in an activity that is inconsistent with the reason for which your visa was granted
- only work for the employer listed in your application
- not work for yourself.
Any member of your family who was included in your visa application must:
- continue to be part of your family unit
- enter Australia at the same time, or after you
- leave Australia at the same time, or before you.
Report changes in circumstances
Tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth or death in your family.
You can use the following forms: