Individuals and Travellers

Subclass 575 Document Checklist Streamlined

This document lists the information and supporting documents required to lodge your student visa application. It also lists additional documents that you might need to provide depending on your individual circumstances.

Visa application requirements differ from one country to another. If you are applying outside Australia, you must contact your nearest departmental office and check exactly how to submit your application and what documents to provide.

See:Immigration Offices Outside Australia

More information about this visa is available.

See: About this Visa

Do not provide original documents unless requested. You must provide certified copies of original documentation. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations. More information on certified documents and English translations is available.

You should ensure that you lodge a completed visa application. While the department might ask you to provide more information in order to determine whether you meet the criteria for grant of the visa, a decision on the visa application might be made solely on the information provided at the time of application.

Note: The Visa Application Charge will not be refunded if a decision is made to refuse to grant the visa because the applicant did not satisfy the criteria for grant of the visa.

Form 1025i contains more information on how to apply.

See:Form 1025i Making and processing visa applications.

Aftercompletingthis checklist, please attach it to the front of your application.

Forms, fees and charges

For a student visa application complete form 157A.

See:Form 157A Applicationforastudent (temporary)visa

You might also be eligible to apply online.

See:Online Applications - Students

The Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) certificate issued by your eligible education provider for the course you are undertaking indicating that you are enrolled in an exchange or study abroad program.

Visa application charge – payable to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) by credit card, debit card, bank cheque or money order.

See:Visa Charges

Certified copies of passport or travel documents of all people included in the application. Passports must not have expired. If you are asked to attend one of our offices you must bring your passport.

If you are under 18 and are applying in Australia for a student visa you will need to show evidence that appropriate arrangements are in place for your welfare at the time you lodge your application. Please refer to the Welfare for Students Under 18 section of this checklist for information on what is considered acceptable evidence.


If you are applying from outside Australia, four recent passport sized photographs (45mmx35mm) of you and any other person included in the application. If applying in Australia, only one photograph of each person is required.

  • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
  • Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.

Evidence of the relationship between you and your family.


  • certified copies or notarised copies of birth certificates (including those who are not joining you in Australia)
  • marriage certificate.

If you are living in a de facto relationship, independent evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least 12 months.


  • joint bank account statements
  • billing accounts in joint names.

If you or anyone included in the application has been permanently separated, divorced or widowed, a certified copy of the statutory declaration/separation certificate, divorce decree absolute or the death certificate of the deceased partner (as appropriate).

If anyone in the application has changed his or her name, certified copies of documents verifying the name change.


  • marriage or deed poll certificate
  • a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

If any dependent child included in the application is adopted, certified copies of the adoption papers.

If you want to bring a child under 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application, documentary evidence that you have the legal right to include that child in your application. Evidence might include, but is not limited to:

  • certified copies of official legal documents such as a court issued custody, access, or guardianship order
  • a statutory declaration from each person with a legal responsibility for the child, stating that they have no objection to the child migrating to Australia
  • a completed form 1229

See:Form 1229 Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years

If your family members have turned 5 years of age, but have not yet turned 18, and are remaining with you in Australia, you will need to provide evidence of enrolment in an Australian school, including payment of any required fee.

Health examinations

You and any family member planning to remain with you in Australia may be required to undergo health examinations as part of the visa application process.

See: Health examinations

You are able to organise your health examinations before lodging a visa application.

Health insurance and character documents

Evidence that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your visa. Your visa expiry date will be determined by the expiry date of your OSHC.

You might be required to provide a penal clearance for any country you have lived in for 12 months, or longer, in the last ten years, since reaching 16 years of age. If you have served in the armed forces of any country, you might be required to provide certified copies of military service records or discharge papers. The office processing your application will advise you if they require these documents.

Financial documents

You must declare you have access to sufficient funds to cover yourself and your family members for the duration of your stay in Australia for:

  • travel costs to and from Australia
  • living costs
  • tuition costs
  • school costs for any school-aged children.

The departmental officer assessing your application will need to be satisfied that the funds you are relying on will genuinely be available to you during your stay in Australia. You might be asked by the department to provide further evidence regarding your financial capacity.

Welfare for students under 18

If you are under 18 years of age you must provide evidence that every person with a legal right to decide where you live consents to your proposed studies in Australia.

If you are under 18 years of age you must provide evidence of either (a), (b) or (c):

a) If you intend to reside in Australia with a parent, or a person who has custody of you, you must provide evidence of the relationship, and that they have the right to remain in Australia for the period of your stay, or until you turn 18, whichever is the lesser period.


b) If you intend to reside in Australia with a relative nominated by a parent or a person who has custody of you, you must provide evidence of the relationship, evidence that the relative is at least 21 years old, police clearance/s, and evidence that the relative has the right to remain in Australia for the period of your stay, or until you turn 18, whichever is the lesser period.

Police clearances do not need to be submitted at the time you lodge your application but will need to be submitted before your visa can be granted.

Further information is available about police clearances under each visa category.


c) If you will not be residing in Australia with one of the above mentioned persons, you must provide a signed statement from your education provider confirming that appropriate arrangements have been made for your accommodation, support and general welfare during your stay in Australia.

Further information is available in the visa under the 'Eligibility' tab.


Search all visas

Search visas