Status Resolution Service


CSRS outreach visits to north-east Queensland, from 19 to 21 June 2017

CSRS officers from the Department’s Brisbane office will be undertaking outreach visits to Townsville, Airlie beach and Mackay from 19 to 21 June 2017.  During these visits CSRS officers can provide information to people who have overstayed their visa or do not have a valid visa and help to resolve their immigration issues. CSRS officers can also provide advice to visa holders who are approaching their visa expiry dates about their visa options.

CSRS staff will set up a shopfront at the following Centrelink Offices and will be available to talk to people from 9 am until 4 pm. No appointment is necessary.

Townsville, Monday 19 June, 304 – 311 Ross River Rd, Aitkenvale
Airlie Beach, Tuesday 20 June, 224 Shute Harbour Rd, Cannonvale
Mackay, Wednesday 21 June, The Hub @ Greenfields, 12 Greenfields Boulevard, Mount Pleasant

If you are unable to attend an information session, or would prefer to engage with the Department anonymously online, visit, where you can post any questions about visa overstaying and your visa options, and an immigration officer will respond to your question promptly.

For the CSRS hotline phone 1300 853 773.

If your visa is about to expire or has expired, you should go to the My visa is about to expire or has expired webpage. It is the fastest and easiest way to resolve your immigration matter.

If you are in Australia, you must hold a valid visa for the duration of your stay and comply with the conditions of your visa. You must depart Australia no later than on the day on which your visa expires.

If you are in a situation where your visa has expired while you are in Australia, you can still depart. If you stay in Australia after your visa has expired, you become an 'unlawful non-citizen'.

The Australian Border Force (ABF) conducts visa compliance activity in the community. If you are found to be in the community without a valid visa:

  • you risk being detained and removed from Australia
  • you might have to pay the Australian Government for the cost of removing you from Australia
  • you could be banned from returning to Australia for up to three years – this is called a re-entry ban.

If you don’t have the right to remain in Australia, you must depart.

How we can assist

If you cannot resolve your immigration matter through the My visa is about to expire or has expired webpage, then the Department's Status Resolution Service can help.

SRS officers can explain your visa options and tell you how decisions you make now can affect your options later on. They can also help you plan your departure from Australia, and refer you to other services where necessary.

If you don’t have the right to remain in Australia, you must depart.

You can contact the Status Resolution Service by calling 1300 853 773. If you need interpreting assistance, call 131 450.