Pathways to Permanent Residency

On this page:

After you have lived and worked in Australia on this visa, there are several permanent visas that you can apply for.

When can you apply for a permanent visa?

You can apply for a permanent visa after you have:

  • lived for two years in a Specified Regional Area and worked, including being self-employed, for one year in these same areas.
    See: Specified Regional Areas
  • obtained sponsorship under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.

Which permanent visas can you apply for?

You can apply for any permanent visa in Australia, however the Skilled - Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) is specifically designed for holders of a provisional skilled visa who want to apply for permanent residency.
See: Skilled - Regional (Residence) Visa (Subclass 887)

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 857) has reduced eligibility requirements for holders of a Skilled - Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclasses 475 and 487) or a Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 495).
See: Allocation dates for General Skilled Migration applications

<< Return to previous page