- Evidence that the child’s parent is an Australian citizen, a holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Evidence can include a certified copy of:
- their birth certificate
- an Australian passport or foreign passport containing evidence of permanent residence or Australian citizenship certificate
- for New Zealand citizens, evidence of length of residence in Australia and of continuing links with Australia.
- Photocopies of one of the following documents to show the sponsor’s employment during the past two years:
- an Australian income or overseas tax assessment notice
- a letter from the sponsor’s employer confirming length of employment and annual salary payslips
- if the sponsor is self-employed or self-funded from other sources, business documents or a letter from the sponsor’s accountant
- The sponsor and their partner must both provide:
- AFP National Police Checks, if the sponsor or their partner has spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age
- police certificates from each country in which the sponsor and their partner have spent a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years since turning 16 years of age
- If the sponsor has paid child support or given an assurance of support for anyone else, the sponsor must provide a statement that shows:
- the sponsor’s relationship with that other person or those people
- the dates of lodgement of any sponsorship or nominations (including any current sponsorship) or assurances of support
- the amount and frequency of child support payments.
Note 1: Provide the original documents with the application, and keep a copy for yourself.
Note 2: You do not need these documents if the sponsor already has them as part of adopting the child through an Australian state or territory adoption authority.