Most applicants will have to pay the visa application charge when lodging their online application.
You might not need to pay the visa application charge, or might only be required to pay a partial visa application charge if you are an applicant who is a class of persons participating in an activity specified by the Minister in a legislative instrument.
Your inviting Australian organisation will inform you if you might be eligible for a visa application charge concession and will provide you with the relevant evidence.
You will need to provide evidence with your application. If you do not provide evidence when you submit your application, your application might not be processed.
If you intend to stay in Australia for longer than 12 months:
- police checks for everyone included in the visa application who is older than 16 years of age:
- an Australian National Police Check for anyone who has spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age
- police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age.
- if anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.
You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a
reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
- If you are staying in Australia for more than three months, you are required to provide evidence of adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia, such as:
- If you are staying in Australia for three months or less, you may be requested to provide evidence of adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay.
Evidence of your financial capacity to support yourself and your family while you are in Australia, such as:
- bank statements
- a letter from your financial institution stating your financial position
- employment contracts
- documents showing allowances, accommodation and stipends from your sponsor while you are in Australia.
You need only support the family members who come with you to Australia. You do not need to show you can support any family members who do not come with you.
- If someone gives you advice or lodges your application for you:
Form 956 - Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance (133KB PDF) (the agent or exempt person completes the form and you must sign it).
- If you would like someone else to receive correspondence from us on your behalf:
Form 956a - Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (116KB PDF) (the recipient completes the form and you must sign it).
Make sure you tick
yes to having an authorised recipient and complete the required contact information in the application form if you attach these document. Attach these forms if it is in the list of required documents at the end of the application form. This can be scanned and attached to your online application.
If you apply in Australia or outside Australia and you intend to stay for more than three months:
- Evidence that the sponsorship application has been lodged or approved, such as:
- sponsorship application ID number or sponsorship Transaction Reference Number (TRN)
- sponsor approval letter.
- A written statement from the sponsor that they will meet the sponsorship obligations for all your dependent family members you include in your application.
If you apply outside Australia and you intend to stay in Australia for three months or less:
- A letter from the organisation or individual in Australia who is responsible for the events or activities you will be undertaking (if an organisation – the letter must be on the organisation’s letterhead) which identifies:
- the visa applicant and any family members travelling with them
- the event/s, activity or work the applicant will be involved
- the duties in relation to event/s, activity or work the applicant will be involved
- the date/s, location/s of the event/s activity or work