You need to provide documents to support your application to become a sponsor. We could ask you for more information, but we can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge the application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.
You must provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.
Charges (for sponsorship application only)
Pay the sponsorship application charges.
Documents about your business
Lawfully and actively operating in Australia
- Certificate of registration for tax purposes showing your Australian Business Number (ABN).
- If you operate under a trading name: business names extract.
- If you are a company: Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) historical company extract (registration with ASIC).
- If you are an operation under a trust structure:
- relevant pages of the trust deed (pages listing parties to the trust and the signature page)
- an ASIC historical company extract (where the trustee is a company).
- If you are an operation under a franchise: relevant pages of the franchise agreement (pages listing parties in the franchise agreement and the signature page).
- If you are a not-for-profit organisation: a tax exemption certificate.
Religious organisations only
- a copy of the income tax exemption charity endorsement from the Australian Taxation Office
- a statement providing the numbers of members of the congregation and details of the activities of the organisation
- a copy of the memorandum and articles of association, constitution, rules or charter
- letter from the local council stating the address where the organisation is located is an approved place of worship.
Provide these documents only if your business has been operating less than 12 months.
Evidence of active operation and ability to comply with sponsorship undertakings, such as:
- detailed business plan
- contract of sale relating to the purchase of the business
- lease agreement relating to the business premises
- contracts to provide services
- evidence of employment of staff
- Business Activity Statements for each complete quarter from commencement of operations to date of lodgement
- business banking statements covering the period of operation.
Compliance with Australian laws
Information relating to your employment arrangements for the past 12 months of any person who is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
Ability to comply with obligations
Documents to demonstrate that you satisfy sponsorship/support requirements:
- bank statements (provide at least six months’ worth of your most recent bank statements)
- tax returns for the most recently concluded year
- profit and loss statements and balance sheets for the most recently concluded financial year
- a letter of support from a qualified accountant (CPA, CA, Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) registered), or reputable financial institution that clearly summarises the organisation’s ability to meet its financial responsibilities.
Any information relating to action that has been taken against the organisation or eligible individual by any Australian state or territory government agency in the preceding 12 months, even if it did not result in a criminal or civil penalty being imposed. This should include any breach notices or infringement notices issued to the business.
Further information is provided in Adverse information for sponsors.