You and your partner are in a de facto partner relationship if all of the following applies:
- you are not legally married to each other
- you are committed to a shared life to the exclusion of all others
- your relationship is genuine and continuing
- you live together or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis
- you are not related by family.
Your relationship can be with someone of the same or different sex.
Length of relationship
Usually, your de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for the visa.
Time spent dating or in an online relationship does not count as being in a de facto relationship.
If your de facto relationship has existed for less than 12 months, you might still be eligible for the visa. Find out if you do not need to meet (are exempt from) the one year relationship requirement.