Student Training And Research Visas Processing Times

The tables below detail the indicative processing times for visas for studying, training and conducting research in Australia.
Note: We aim to process 75 per cent of applications within these service standards. However, actual processing times might vary depending on a range of factors.
See:  Service standards for more information.

Student indicative processing times

Visa applicationLodged in AustraliaLodged outside Australia
Assessment LevelLevel 1 or 2Level 3 Level 1Level 2Level 3
(subclass 570, 571, 572, 573, 574, 575, 576, 580)
Note: Student Guardian visa processing times are based on the Assessment Level of the nominating student.
14 days1 month14 days21 days3 months
Students: permission to work7 days7 daysn/a

Assessment Levels: Student visa Assessment Levels are determined by the passport you hold and the visa subclass you are applying for.
Student visa assessment levels
Student visa options
Processing applications

Training and research visa processing times

Occupational Trainee stream, Research stream and Professional Development stream.

Training and Research (subclass 402) visaLodged in AustraliaLodged outside Australia
Low RiskHigh RiskLow RiskHigh Risk
Occupational Trainee stream2 months3 months2 months3 months
Research stream2 months3 months2 months3 months
Professional Development streamn/an/a2 months3 months

The table below details the processing timeframes for sponsorship and nomination applications for the training and research visa.

Application typeTime frame
Sponsorship4-6 weeks
Nomination4-6 weeks

Definition – low/high risk

The terms 'Low risk' and 'High risk' show whether passport holders are eligible to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). Low risk applies to nationals from countries which issue ETA eligible passports. A list of these can be found on the department's website. High risk countries are those which are not ETA eligible.
See: ETA Eligible Passports

More information on working in Australia is available on the department's website.
See: Training and Research Visas ​​