On this page
Your feedback is valuable to us. We use this feedback to improve our services and investigate and respond to any issues of concern.
Feedback can be compliments, complaints and suggestions:
- Compliments are praise or congratulations about any aspect of our services, performance or how we do business.
- Complaints are an expression of dissatisfaction or unmet expectations about any aspect of our service or the way we conduct our business.
- Suggestions are ideas on how we could improve our services or do our business differently.
We value your feedback. If we get things wrong, we need to address and evaluate such instances to resolve these matters promptly. Similarly, we should recognise when we are complimented on our service and performance.
We are committed to providing services in ways that are considerate of the impact to:
- Passenger movement
- Cargo clearance
- Compliance monitoring
- Operational activities
- Visa and Citizenship applications and processes
- Service providers and partners.
Information about how and where you can provide feedback is clearly displayed at all our offices and on our website. In addition, you can request this information from departmental staff and Border Force officers during the following activities:
- contacting the Department through various service channels
- interacting with Border Force officers when moving through the border.
You can provide a compliment or complaint about any aspect of the services provided or funded by the organisation.
Out of Scope
We will not respond to feedback relating to any of the following situations:
- Regional Processing Centres (RPCs); we will refer your feedback to the contract management for review
- disclosure by a public official; refer to the Public Interest Disclosure Scheme
- allegations about misconduct or criminal conduct; refer to Border Watch - report something suspicious
- information about Compensation; refer to Claiming compensation from us
- decisions where an external review or appeal mechanism already exists
- information or requests relating to Human Resource matters or departmental employment issues and/or conditions
- feedback addressed to the Minister.
How to provide feedback
You can provide feedback to us in a number of ways.
Give feedback online using our
online feedback form.
Send us your feedback by post to:
Department of Immigration and Border Protection
GPO Box 241
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3001
Call us on 133177 inside Australia between 9 am and 5 pm AEST (except Victorian public holidays).
Note: Feedback received through Social media is not treated as formal feedback for response and reporting purposes.
Need help in giving feedback
Help with translating and interpreting
The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) is an interpreting service we provide to help:
- people who do not speak English in their daily lives
- agencies and businesses to communicate with their non-English speaking clients.
Contact TIS National on 131 450 (within Australia).
Help making a telephone call
- Text telephone (TTY) or modem callers can contact the National Relay Service (NRS) on 133 677 (within Australia).
- If it is hard for you to understand on the phone you can use the Speech to Speech Relay (SSR) via the NRS on 1300 555 727 (within Australia)
Translating and Interpreting Service.
After you have provided the feedback
If you give feedback by telephone or email, we aim to acknowledge your contact within two working days and respond to your feedback within 15 working days.
If you give feedback by post, we will acknowledge your contact within five working days and respond to your feedback within 15 working days after acknowledgement.
If your matter is complex, it might take longer to resolve. If this is the case, we will contact you to tell you how your feedback is progressing.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome you receive you can contact the Commonwealth Ombudsman on 1300 362 072.
Protecting your privacy
Your privacy is protected under the
Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988.
The information that you provide is used to improve and maintain our services, and/or investigate and respond to your feedback. The information will be provided to the business area to which the feedback relates. It will not be used or disclosed to third parties unless your consent is provided, or the organisation is required to do so by law.
Your personal information
Your personal information will be stored in accordance with the Information Privacy Principles. You are not required to provide your name or contact details, however, if you would like a reply, specify how you would like the organization to contact you. If you want to correct or amend any information, request this in writing to the address listed.