Australia has one of the largest and most challenging border environments in the world. Our border includes approximately 37,000 kilometres of coastline, much of which is in remote regions, eight major international airports, more than 60 international seaports, and an offshore exclusive economic zone covering 10 million square kilometres of ocean.
Australian Border Force officers are operationally focused, uniformed and part of a disciplined enforcement body undertaking functions across our entire operating environment – patrolling our air and seaports, remote locations, mail and cargo centres and Australia's extended maritime domain.
We have offices in every state and territory and in 52 locations around the world.
Each week on average we:
- inspect 1.067 million mail items
- inspect 1948 twenty foot equivalent units
- inspect 38,825 air cargo consignments
- clear 649,736 air passengers arriving and departing Australia
- clear 687 ships arriving and departing Australian ports
- clear 46,934 passengers and crew arriving by sea
- clear 99,743 import and export entries
- detect and seize numerous prohibited items, including 632 illicit drug imports and other items such as weapons, replica firearms, dangerous goods, protected wildlife, illegal pornography, material involving breaches of copyright and tobacco
- deploy 44 highly trained detector dog teams across our airports and the waterfront
- locate 320 unlawful non-citizens in Australia
- locate 51 illegal workers
- issue 13 notices to employers of illegal workers
- issue 95,000 permanent and temporary visas
- collect $301.1 million in revenue
- patrol 3 million square nautical miles of Australia’s coastline and surrounding oceans in conjunction with the Department of Defence to detect, deter and disrupt the movement of people who are not authorised to enter Australia including unauthorised maritime arrivals and individuals exploiting Australia’s natural resources
- detect, deter and disrupt the movement of illegal goods across the border
- patrol seaport and airside locations to identify and mitigate border breaches.