Individuals and Travellers

Working in Australia

Information on how to apply for work visas, information on skilled occupations in Australia, licensing and registration requirement and regional employment.

What's new

Abolition and replacement of the 457 visa – Government reforms to employer sponsored skilled migration visas

On 18 April 2017, the Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP, Prime Minister of Australia and the Hon Peter Dutton MP, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection jointly announced that the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457 visa) will be abolished and replaced with the completely new Temporary Skilled Shortage (TSS) visa which will support businesses in addressing genuine skill shortages.

Further information on these reforms is available at Abolition and replacement of the 457 visa – Government reforms to employer sponsored skilled migration visas.

​ ​
Work visa options

Skilled migration visa options

You may be eligible for a skilled visa if, amongst other things, you are a skilled overseas worker with skills needed in Australia.

See > Workers

Sponsored or nominated work visa options

You may be eligible for a nominated or sponsored work visa if, amongst other things, you are nominated or sponsored by:

  • An approved Australian employer or business
  • A state or territory government agency
  • A state or territory authority

See > Workers


Information for workers including:

  • Visa options comparison chart
  • Your rights and obligations as a worker
  • Skills assessment
  • Withdrawing a General Skilled Migration visa application
  • Superannuation
  • Working in Australia's offshore oil and gas industry

See > Workers


Information for Australian employers about:

  • Sponsoring and employing skilled workers from overseas
  • Labour agreements for recruitment
  • Employing legal workers
  • Checking a person's visa entitlements
  • Working with migrants and refugees
  • Skilled migration events

See > Employers


If you are a skilled overseas worker and want to apply for a skilled migration visa, you can lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) to work in Australia.

See> SkillSelect

Regional Employment

Information on employment programs to attract young, skilled, English-speaking migrants to regional areas of Australia, including:

  • Regional opportunities for migrants
  • Regional certifying bodies

See > Regional employment

Skills Australia Needs

The Australian government attends skilled migration events around the world. The events provide information to skilled workers on what it is like to work in Australia.

See > Skills Australia Needs 

Work visa scams

Be aware that criminals can use visa scams to exploit or steal money from overseas workers wanting to come to Australia. These criminals may lure people by making false promises of work and permanent residence in Australia.

Learn how to avoid being a victim of a work visa scam.

See > Work visa scams

Bringing family with you

If you are working in Australia, you may be able to bring your family if:

  • You include your family members on your working visa application, or
  • Your family members apply for a family visa, or
  • Your family members apply for a visitor visa

See > Bringing family with you

Take a working holiday in Australia

If you are a young person (aged 18-30) and want to work and holiday in Australia for up to a year, you may be eligible for a working holiday visa.

A working holiday visa allows you to work while you have the holiday of a lifetime. You will have the opportunity to share your culture, knowledge and skills whilst discovering our unique landscape.

See > Visit for work