Applicant documents

Financial requirement

You need to have enough money genuinely available to support you, the student and children coming with you for the duration of your stay in Australia. You will declare this in your visa application.

You must show evidence of financial capacity by providing one of the following:

  • evidence of funds to cover travel costs and 12 months’ living costs for yourself and any other children coming with you
  • evidence that your spouse (who is not travelling to Australia) will support you and your dependants and has an annual income of at least AUD 70,000.

If the grant of the visa will significantly benefit the relationship between Australia and the government of your home country, you only need to show evidence of funds for yourself and dependents, not the student.

Minimum 12-months’ living cost for your stay in Australia

CostsAmount required in Australian dollars (AUD)
​ You (the Student Guardian visa applicant) ​19,830 per year
​Child, if applicable​2,970 per year for each child

This is indicative of the cost of living in Australia. Actual living costs vary depending where you live.

Important: The financial capacity requirement relates to your eligibility for the grant of the student guardian visa. The living costs we ask you to declare or provide with your visa application are indicative of the cost of living in Australia. You need to be aware that actual living costs vary according to the area in which you intend to live and it is recommended that you research this yourself.

Access to funds

You must have genuine access to funds. The funds shown in the visa application must be available for use to financially support you and your family members during your stay in Australia.

Funds to support you and your family members must come from an acceptable source such as:

  • money deposits with a financial institution
  • financial institution or government loans
  • scholarships or sponsorships.

When we assess your application, we decide whether the funds shown will be genuinely available by taking into account factors, such as:

  • the nature of the relationship between you and the person providing the funds, where applicable
  • your income, assets and employment or that of the person who is providing the funds
  • your previous visa history and that of the person providing the funds.

Annual income option

The annual income requirement is AUD 70,000 or more. The income must be one of the following:

  • the personal income of your spouse
  • in the form of official government documentation such as a tax assessment (or country equivalent)
  • showing income earned during a period ending less than 12 months before the visa application was lodged. For example, a tax assessment issued in December 2015, for a visa application lodged in July 2016, would be acceptable.

Health Insurance

You must provide evidence that you have enough health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia. This can be Overseas Visitors Health Cover (OVHC) or another health insurance product from Australia or your home country that provides a similar level of cover.

The student visa holder must have their own health insurance.

Identity and relationship documents

You must provide identity documents and proof of your relationship with the student. This can include a birth certificate showing the names of both parents.

You must also provide:

  • a birth certificate showing the names of both parents
  • the pages of each applicant's current passport showing photo, personal details and passport issue and expiry dates
  • two recent passport photographs (45 mm x 35 mm):
    • the photograph should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background
    • the applicant's name must be printed on the back of the photograph
  • proof of change of name, if applicable.

Genuine temporary requirement

When we assess whether you plan to stay in Australia temporarily we will consider:

  • your personal circumstances in your home country
  • your potential circumstances in Australia
  • your immigration history
  • anything else that relates to your plan to remain in Australia temporarily.

Show proof that you are staying in Australia temporarily, such as:

  • evidence of immediate family members in your home country
  • your visa or residence status in your home country and your right to return
  • proof of property or other significant assets in your home country
  • a return air ticket
  • a letter from your employer confirming your leave.

Bringing children

If a child under six years old is coming with you but someone with a legal right to decide where that child lives is not coming to Australia, also provide:

  • Form 1229 - Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125KB PDF) that has been completed by this person, or
  • a statutory declaration giving this person's consent for the applicant to travel to Australia on this visa.

Also attach a certified copy of this person's identity papers such as a birth certificate, passport or driver licence.