Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

Provides an online service to check visa details and conditions.

Traveller checking visa entitlement


For a fast and convenient way to view and email your visa details and conditions, download myVEVO for free from your app store – it's VEVO in your pocket.

Maritime Crew Visa (MCV) and Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) holders
If you need to know whether a Maritime Crew visa is still valid, go to the MCV online status enquiry page.

ETA holders, who applied via the ETA website, can use the ‘Check an ETA’ option to confirm when your ETA expires; you will need your ETA Reference Number.

Visa Holders using VEVO

As a visa holder you can use VEVO to check your current visa details and conditions. You can also send your visa details to any email address you choose.

You can now access VEVO through our mobile app. myVEVO can be downloaded free from app stores.

We have education and training videos to assist you with accessing your visa information from VEVO.

With your permission, VEVO can also give registered organisations a limited amount of relevant information on your visa conditions. Organisations can use this information to check if you are able to work or undertake other activities in Australia, such as study. Organisations do not see the same level of detailed information that is given to you.

VEVO will only provide information if your details are available electronically in our systems. Some foreign nationals, such as those permanent residents that migrated to Australia before the early 1990s and have not travelled out of Australia since, might not have a searchable record with us.

New Zealanders are often granted a Special Category (subclass 444) visa to them when they arrive in Australia which automatically ends on their departure from Australia. If you were granted one of these visas and you are outside of Australia when you check VEVO, you will be shown as not having a current visa as that visa will have ended when you left Australia.

Further information on Visa Holders using VEVO is also available.

All people working in Australia have basic rights and protections in the workplace, including minimum pay and conditions. More information is available on Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia.

Help and Support for VEVO for Visa Holder users

For more information about how to use VEVO for Visa Holders and for answers to system based questions, go to the VEVO Help and Support page.

Organisations using VEVO

Registered organisations can use VEVO to check if a visa holder can live, work and study in Australia. You must have their permission before you conduct any VEVO check.

Only information about foreign nationals who have their details available in our systems can be checked in VEVO. Some foreign nationals, such as those permanent resident that migrated to Australia before the early 1990s and who have not since travelled out of Australia, might not have a searchable record with us.

VEVO is one way of checking someone’s right to work, study or stay in Australia. If you are unable to use VEVO to confirm your employee’s right to work, please go to our Employing legal workers webpage which sets out other options that are available to you.

Additional information on how to Register as a VEVO organisation and the requirements to check a foreign national’s details is available from the Organisatio​ns using VEVO.

Registering for Organisation VEVO access

Organisations can register for VEVO at any time by completing the online registration form. The types of organisations that register for VEVO include:

  • Registered Migration Agents (RMAs)
  • employers
  • labour suppliers
  • education providers
  • other organisations such as: financial institution, real estate agents, telecommunication companies and
  • Government agencies.

To register you must have an Australian Business Number (ABN).

Those looking to apply for Registered Migration Agent access to VEVO will need to provide their Migration Agent Registration Number. If you are based outside Australia and do not have an ABN, you will need to apply for one from the Australian Business Register.

Education institutions should provide their Commonwealth Register for Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) number or the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) number, if the CRICOS number is not available.

Note: Foreign governments in Australia cannot register for VEVO. If you are a representative of a foreign government and need to know the visa status of a foreign national in Australia, you can ask them to email you their status directly from VEVO.

More information about registering is available on the register for VEVO.

Help and Support for VEVO for Organisations users

For more information about how to use VEVO for Organisations and for answers to common issues with using VEVO go to the VEVO Help and Support page.