Any military personnel, who depart Australia as passengers on military transport are able to claim a TRS refund of the GST and WET paid on purchases made in Australia. You cannot claim on goods that are exempted.
The eligibility criteria are:
- you purchased the goods in the 60 days before you leave Australia
- your purchases are from a single business with the same Australian business number (ABN) and total $300 (GST inclusive) or more. For example, if you bought items from one business, even on separate invoices, that together total $300, these items may be eligible for a tax refund under the TRS
- you paid for the goods
- you have an original tax invoice for the goods
- you wear, carry the goods as hand luggage, or check the goods in with your luggage. If the goods are liquids, aerosols or gels (LAGs), or oversized or bulky goods that the airline requires to be checked in as hold luggage you need to have these good verified at the Australian Border Force (ABF) Client Service counter before checking the goods in with your luggage.
On the day of your departure, you must present the following items to an ABF officer your:
- Passport and/or military ID along with proof of travel (for example, boarding pass or military orders)
- Original tax invoice(s),
Please note that if your aircraft is departing away from an international terminal, the TRS app cannot be used.
Operating air or sea crew are not eligible to participate in the TRS.