Only registered migration agents can give migration assistance. It is a criminal offence for an unregistered person to provide immigration assistance.
Immigration assistance is when a person uses their knowledge of migration procedures to:
- help to prepare a visa application
- advise a visa applicant about their visa application
- help to prepare a document in relation to a visa application
- prepare for proceedings or represent an applicant before a court or review authority.
The following activities are not regarded as immigration assistance:
- clerical work to prepare or help prepare an application or other document
- providing translation or interpretation services to help prepare an application or other document
- advising a person that they must apply for a visa
- passing on information produced by a third person, without giving substantial comment or explanation.