You must provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.
You must provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.
Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.
Complete these forms only if you are lodging a paper application:
- If someone gives you advice or lodges your application for you:
- If you would like someone else to receive correspondence from us on your behalf:
Your personal documents
- Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
- Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
- These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
- Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.
- A national identity card if you have one.
- If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.
If you are unable to provide any of these documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.
- Certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.
- If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least six months (for example, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names or joint ownership of major assets).
- If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a certified copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or
statutory declaration separation documents.
Health and character documents
- Certified copies of birth certificates or the family book showing the names of both parents of all your dependent children.
- Evidence of financial dependency for all your family members aged 18 or older (such as evidence of current studies):
- a certified copy of their birth certificate and proof of their relationship to you
- proof that they live in your household
- proof that they have been financially dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application.
- If any dependent child included in the application is adopted: certified copies of the adoption papers.
- If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application, you will need documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as:
- If you are required to undergo health examinations, you must organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application and include your health identifier (HAP ID) when completing your visa application form.
- If you have confirmed that you do not need to undergo health examinations by using
My Health Declarations, please indicate on your online application form that you have organised your health examinations when lodging your visa application (as you are considered to have met this requirement).
- Evidence that everyone included in your application has adequate health insurance in Australia. Provide any one of the following:
signed letter from a health insurance provider (140KB DOC)
- a Medicare card or receipt of enrolment with Medicare
- evidence of adequate health insurance (including travel insurance)
- if you are from a country with a
reciprocal health care agreement with Australia and will be eligible for Medicare when you arrive here, evidence of adequate health insurance (including travel insurance) to cover you until you enrol in Medicare
- evidence that you hold a passport from the Republic of Ireland.
- Evidence that everyone included in the visa application has applied for an
Australian Federal Police National Police Check if they are at least 16 years of age and have spent a total of 12 months or more in Australia since turning 16 years of age.
The AFP National Police Check Application Form is available from the Australian Federal Police website - either an
online form or
paper form. Visa applicants should tick Code 33 in Section 8 of the form. Fingerprints are not required.
You will be issued with a 'National Police Check' certificate which will have 'Complete Disclosure' in the heading if your AFP police check application is successful.
- Police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age. Provide the original certificates and keep a copy for yourself.
Character requirements - How to obtain police certificates
- If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.
- A one-page summary statement outlining all your assets and liabilities on a day of your choice in the three months before you were invited to apply for this visa, with details of how those assets were acquired, including the source of funds.
- Evidence of your ownership of each asset and liabilities (if any) against each asset (for example, mortgages, credit cards and loans, including unsecured and third-party loans):
- for assets held by a trust: the trust deed
- for cash assets: bank statements, all less than three months old, with the same date of issue
- for real estate assets: title deeds, valuation certificates by an accredited property valuer, and mortgages
- for personal or business loans: loan agreements, loan statements indicating the amount borrowed and the repayment schedule, and loans listed in the business balance sheet (for loans to or from a business)
- for stocks and bonds: share or bond registers, share/fixed interest securities, debentures or transfer certificates.
Your business documents
Significant Business History stream
- Overview of your business career and intentions in Australia, which can include:
- a statement outlining your intended business and/or investment activities
- a description of your research or study in relevant sectors in Australia
- a description of the business activities of the business in Australia in which you have an interest, and the period of ownership (if applicable).
Provide the documents in this section only if you are applying for this visa under the Significant Business History stream.
- Evidence that you, your partner, or you and your partner combined hold total net business and personal assets of at least AUD1.5 million that are legally acquired and can be transferred to Australia within two years after the visa is granted
- Evidence that you, your partner, or you and your partner combined held total net assets of at least AUD400 000 in one or more qualifying businesses in at least two of the four fiscal years immediately before you were invited to apply for this visa.
- Evidence of a total annual turnover of at least AUD3 million in one or more of your main businesses in at least two of the four fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply.
- If a publicly listed company operates any of your qualifying businesses: evidence that you, your partner or you and your partner combined own at least 10 per cent of the issued shares of the publicly listed company.
- Evidence of a business plan to indicate your intentions and efforts to actively participate in and manage the qualifying business, describing your proposed business activities in Australia and indicating how they will benefit Australia economically.
- Evidence that you have participated in the day-to-day management of the business for two of the four fiscal years before you were invited to apply, such as:
- a full set of financial statements for your business for two of the four fiscal years immediately before you were invited to apply for this visa (the statements must be prepared by an independent accountant to International Accounting Standards and include a balance sheet, profit and loss statement and notes to the accounts)
The evidence needs to demonstrate your involvement in decisions about the management of all or substantial part of the business and responsibility for such areas as strategic management, recruitment, price structure, business profitability and expenditure.
- a one-page organisational chart showing your position in the business, staff attribution, management reporting lines and functional responsibilities.
- photos of business premises and business activities (maximum six photos)
- business contracts
- minutes of meetings
- documents initiated or authorised by you
- if applicable: details if any of your businesses has operated at a loss, evidence if any of your businesses is or has been subject to insolvency, receivership or liquidation, or evidence of bankruptcy.
Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream
- Evidence of business ownership, such as:
- full company extract or certificate of incorporation
- shareholder certificate lodged with the Company Registrar, showing your share of capital
- annual return of the business
- memorandum and articles of association
- certificate of business registration, business licence or business names extract for the business
- franchise agreement, company registrar or share transfer documents
- partnership agreements between all partners
- if your business is a trust: full trust deed and amendments (including the names of all trustees and beneficiaries at the time when the trust was formed).
Provide the documents in this section only if you are applying for this visa under the Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream.
- A legally binding venture capital agreement with an Australian company that is a member of the Australian Private Equity and Venture Capital Association Limited (AVCAL) to show that you have obtained venture capital funding of at least AUD1 million from an Australian venture capital firm, and a letter stating that the funding is for the start-up, development or expansion of a business, or for product commercialisation in Australia.
- Evidence that your nominating Australian state or territory government agency is satisfied that you, your partner or you and your partner combined have sufficient assets to allow you to settle in Australia.
- Evidence of your genuine and realistic commitment to continuously maintain a substantial ownership interest in new or existing eligible business in Australia and to engage directly and continuously in the daily management and decision-making of the business.
- An overview of your business career and intentions in Australia, including a statement outlining your intended business and/or investment activities and a description of your research or study in relevant sectors in Australia.