Individuals and Travellers

Skilled — Independent (subclass 175)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​ This visa is subject to the Cap and Cease arrangement that took effect on 22 September 2015.  Any visa application that was not decided before 22 September 2015 will be taken not to have been made.


This visa uses a points test and allows you to migrate to Australia if you have competent English language and other skills and attributes which will contribute the most to the Australian economy.


This visa is for you if you:

  • are under 50 years of age
  • have competent English language skills
  • have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

About this visa

The Skilled-Independent visa (subclass 175) closed to new applications on 1 July 2012. This visa is subject to the cap and cease arrangement that took place on 22 September 2015. Visa applications that were not decided by 22 September 2015 are taken not to have been made.

For more information on the cap and cease arrangement go to Cap and Cease arrangements.​ There is a visa finder function located at Workers​​ which outlines the requirements of all current skilled migration visas. This function will assist you to identify visa subclass(es) which suit your personal circumstances.

Visa applicants

​The Skilled–Independent visa (subclass 175) closed to new applications on 1 July 2012. This visa was subject to cap and cease arrangements on 22 September 2015. Any application that was not decided before 22 September 2015 is taken not to have been made. For more information on the cap and cease arrangement go to Cap and Cease arrangements​​​.​

Visa holders

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

This information is for people who have been granted a Skilled-Independent visa (subclass 175). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

What this visa lets you do

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change.  This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount.  If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Document Checklist Tool

Select information relevant to you. Leave fields blank if you are not sure.


Estimate the cost of your visa

The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator does not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.