Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790)


This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for five years
  • work
  • study
  • apply for certain other visas such as skilled or family visas if both the SHEV pathway and the visa application requirements are met.

Illegal Maritime Arrival's must apply before 1 October 2017 or leave Australia.


You must:

  • be claiming Australia’s protection
  • have arrived in Australia illegally
  • intend to work and/or study in regional Australia.


Length of stay

​Up to five years


From AUD

Global processing times

Global processing times are unavailable for this visa.

Learn about...​


Who could get this visa

You might be eligible for a SHEV if:

  • you arrived in Australia illegally
  • you lodge a valid application
  • you are assessed as engaging Australia’s protection obligations
  • you meet other requirements, such as health, security, and character
  • you or at least one member of your family unit declares an intention to work and/or study in regional Australia.


To be granted this visa, you must meet certain health requirements to protect your health and the health of the Australian community.

You might have already had some health examinations. If we need you to do more health examinations, we will contact you to go for another appointment. The examinations are conducted by Bupa Medical Visa Services. To book an appointment with them, use their online booking tool available through their website. See arranging a health examination for more information.

If you receive Status Resolution Support Services (SRSS), contact your SRSS provider as they might be able to help you book and pay for your health examinations.

If you are receiving assistance through the SRSS programme, you will be required to pay for these health examinations at the time of testing. Bupa Medical Visa Services will advise you of the costs when you make your appointment.


To be granted this visa, you must meet certain character requirements. You will need to provide a police certificate from each country (except your country of claimed asylum) you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

If you are receiving assistance through the SRSS programme, talk to your SRSS provider about whether you can get help with these checks.

The visa

About this visa

A Safe Haven Enterprise visa (SHEV) is a temporary protection visa that is valid for five years. It encourages people to work and study in regional Australia.

More information on what it means to engage Australia's protection obligations is available in the Protection Application Information and Guides (PAIG), a series of guides that provide clear instructions about the protection application and assessment process.

What this visa lets you do

This visa lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia temporarily for a period of five years.
  • work and/or study in Australia.
  • access a range of services offered by the Australian Government such as job matching, Medicare, social security benefits and short term counselling for torture and trauma when required. The Department of Human Services delivers a range of social and health related payments and services.
  • travel outside of Australia if we are satisfied that you have compassionate or compelling circumstances that justify your travel.
  • if you meet the SHEV pathway requirements you can apply for certain other visas in Australia, including permanent visas such as skilled and family (but not a Permanent Protection visa).

Note: You cannot sponsor family members to come to Australia.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

If you have held or hold a SHEV or TPV

Applying for your next TPV or SHEV
Applying for a subsequent visa

If you hold, or have ever held a SHEV or TPV, you can find more information on applying for a subsequent visa.

To be eligible to apply for other visas in Australia, a SHEV holder will need to either:

  • meet the SHEV pathway requirements individually and apply separately for a visa, or
  • meet the SHEV pathway requirements and include their family as dependant applicants in the visa application, or
  • have a member of their family unit who has met the pathway requirements include them in the visa application as a dependant applicant.

Both primary applicants and their family members will need to meet the application requirements for any further visa in Australia that they apply for.

The visas you might be able to apply for if you meet these requirements are listed in PAIG: Visa options for illegal arrivals seeking protection.


If you have not already been issued an ImmiCard, or your current ImmiCard has expired, you are eligible to apply online for an Evidence of Immigration Status ImmiCard.

ImmiCards are official, secure immigration credentials that contain a photograph and personal details such as surname, given names, date of birth and gender . ImmiCards contain a unique number which is linked to biometric and visa details in our system.

You must take your ImmiCard and your Visa Grant Notice with you to enrol for Government services.


You must ask for approval to travel to another country. International travel will only be approved if you can demonstrate compassionate or compelling circumstances that justify the travel.


AUD 35

You will need to pay the visa application charge for your application to be processed. If you do not pay the whole visa application charge, or are paying this charge by credit card and have insufficient funds available, your visa application will be invalid. Information about how to pay the visa charge is available.

However, if you are in immigration detention when you apply for this visa and have not been immigration cleared, you do not have to pay this charge.


You and any eligible family members included in the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa.


You can include the following people in your visa application:

  • your partner (married or de facto)
  • your or your partner’s dependent children
  • other eligible members of the same family unit.

These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in your application, see Form 1497i - Including family members in your refugee, humanitarian or protection visa application (110KB PDF). The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you.

Only family members who are in Australia can be included in your application for this visa and they must be included at the time you lodge your application. Family members cannot be included in the application after you have lodged it, except for newborn children.

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with Australian laws and the conditions of your visa.

You must also comply with all requests from us.

You must tell us if you change your residential address, within 28 days of moving. You can do this by filling out Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    Help to prepare your application

    You can prepare and lodge your visa application yourself.

    To help you apply for a protection visa, we have developed Protection Application Information and Guides (PAIG). These guides provide clear instructions about the protection application and assessment process.

  2. Gather documents


    Prepare your documents

    You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible in your application and that your application is truthful and complete.

    If you are lodging a paper application you will need to provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

  3. Apply


    The Minister for Immigration and Border Protection has lifted the application bar for the vast majority of IMAs in Australia and invited them to apply for a Temporary Protection visa (TPV) or a Safe Haven Enterprise visa (SHEV) in Australia.

    You are now expected to lodge an application for a TPV or a SHEV to present your claims for protection and resolve your status in Australia.

    Illegal Maritime Arrival's must apply before 1 October 2017 or leave Australia.

    If you do not lodge a TPV or SHEV application

    Do not lodge an application for a SHEV and a TPV application at the same time. If you apply for both, only your SHEV application will be processed.

    Lodge your application


    You can apply for a TPV or a SHEV online through ImmiAccount

    By post

    If you are unable to apply online complete and lodge a Form 866 - Application for a Protection visa.

    You can send your application form 866 to:

    IMA Protection Support
    Department of Immigration and Border Protection
    GPO Box 9984
    SYDNEY NSW 2001

    More information

    More information on how to prepare and lodge your application for this visa is available in PAIG: Lodging your protection visa application.

    More information on how to apply for IMAs who hold, or ever held a TPV or SHEV, is available.

  4. After you apply

    Wait for a decision

    After lodging an application for this visa, we will send you an acknowledgement letter.

    More information on what happens when your visa application is either granted or refused is available in the PAIG: After you have lodged your application.

    Provide more information

    You should provide all relevant information to us in your application. However, if you need to, you can provide more information to us at any time until a decision is made on your application.

    If you want to correct information you provided previously, use:

    • Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s)  (99 kB PDF).

    If we have questions or concerns about the protection claims you have made or the information you have provided, we will give you an opportunity to respond to our questions or concerns, either during an interview or in writing. This will include inviting you to respond to any relevant information that would be adverse to your application. Any request to you for further information or comments will specify the timeframe in which you must provide the information or comments and how to provide a response. If you do not give us the requested information or comments by the required date, we can make a decision about your application using the information already held.

    Visa decision

    If you are granted this visa, we will send you a letter stating:

    • the visa grant number
    • any conditions attached to the visa.

    Your Visa Grant Notice will also tell you information regarding your entitlements and assistance to which you might be entitled, including the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP). You should bring this notice with you when you want to enrol for services.

    For more information about living in Australia, read the Life in Australia book.

    If your application for this visa is refused, we will send you a letter stating:

    • why the visa was refused
    • whether you have review rights.

    The interview

    After you have applied for a protection visa, one of our officers may invite you to an interview to discuss your application, including your claims for protection.

    You will also need to bring your original documents with you if you are required to attend an interview. We will let you know if you need to attend an interview.

    More information on the interview is available in PAIG: The interview.

    Tell us of changes

    You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

    More information is available in the Tell us of changes tab.

    Applying for assistance

    If you have lodged a valid application for this visa you might be able to get financial or other assistance.

    Financial help and casework services

    The Status Resolution Support Services (SRSS) programme provides services to certain non-citizens while they cooperate with the Department to resolve their immigration status. The level of financial and casework assistance you can access through the SRSS programme depends on your situation. More information is available on the Medicare website.

    Access to Medicare

    You can visit the Medicare website to find out about getting health benefits from the Australian Government. We encourage you to provide Medicare with a copy of your 'Acknowledgement' letter so that Medicare can access your details.

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

If you intend to change your residential address for longer than 14 days, you must tell us in writing by using Form 929 or by calling 1300 728 662.

If your circumstances change after you lodge your application (for example, you have a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth or death in your family), you must notify us of the new circumstances.

You can use the following forms:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details (86 kB PDF) — if you move to a new address or change your passport
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (77 kB PDF) — if there are other changes in your circumstances.

Failure to give a current, valid residential address with your visa application will result in your application being invalid. A post office box will not be accepted as your address.

You should post all forms relating to changes in your circumstances to us.

Withdrawing your visa application

You can withdraw your application for this visa in writing at any time before we make a decision on it. Your request must include your full name and date of birth, as well as details of the application you are withdrawing.

Any additional applicants who are 18 years of age or older must sign the letter of withdrawal or send a separate email or letter.

If you currently have a TPV application being processed, you should wait for a decision on that application. If you have already been granted a TPV, you can apply for this visa.

If the health, security and character checks you obtained through your TPV application are still valid, we will be able to use them for the purposes of your application for this visa, to process your application for this visa as quickly as possible.

If you are considering applying for this visa before your TPV application is decided, be aware that:

  • you will need to withdraw your TPV application to apply for this visa
  • this process will result in delays to you receiving a visa decision.

If you withdraw your TPV application before you apply for this visa, the bridging visa you were granted in association with your TPV application will cease approximately 28 days after you withdraw your TPV application. If you do not apply for another visa during that 28 day period and your bridging visa ceases, your immigration status will become unlawful.

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.