Individuals and Travellers

Investor visa (subclass 891)


This visa is a permanent residence visa. You will be able to travel in and out of Australia for five years.


You might be able to get this visa if you:

About this visa

The Investor visa (subclass 891) allows you to live in Australia if you and your spouse or de facto partner together have held a designated investment in Australia for four years.

Members of your family unit can also apply for this visa if you have already been granted it.

It is the second stage of the Investor (Provisional) (subclass 162) visa.

What this visa lets you do

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Before you apply

Before you apply, notify the business development agency in the state or territory in which you, or a member of your family unit, intend to continue your investment activity.

To do this, complete the notification form:

  • Form 927 State/Territory notification: Business Skills class (55 kB PDF).

Send the completed form to the appropriate state or territory authority. You can notify more than one authority.

A representative will sign, stamp and send it back to you. Include this completed form with your visa application.

Your passport

You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of our offices.


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

Other costs

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Visa applicants

This information tells you what you need to do to apply for an Investor visa (subclass 891).

Who could get this visa

You might be able to get this visa if:

  • you are the primary holder of an Investor (Provisional) (subclass 162) visa
  • you lived in Australia for a total of at least two years in the past of the four years immediately before you apply, while holding an Investor (Provisional) visa (subclass 162)
  • you and all your family members meet health and character requirements
  • you meet business requirements.

Your family might be eligible for this visa if you are the primary holder of an Investor (Provisional) visa (subclass 162).

Business requirements

To meet the business requirements for an Investor visa (subclass 891) you (or your relevant family members) must show:

  • you, or you and your spouse or de facto partner together, have held continuously for at least 4 years, in your name or your partner's name, your designated investment in Australia of AUD1 500 000  (made for the purpose of being granted an Investor (Provisional) visa (subclass 162)
  • you have a realistic commitment to continue a business or investment activity in Australia
  • you or your partner have never been involved in unacceptable business or investment activities.

Health requirements

You must meet certain health requirements. The results are usually valid for 12 months. Do not arrange a health examination until we ask you to.

This also applies to all the members of your family unit included in your application, whether they are migrating or not.

Character requirements

You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

This applies to you and all members of your family unit listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not. ​​

Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

This also applies to all members of your family unit listed in your application whether they are migrating or not.


You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

Including family in your application

You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • your partner
  • your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.

For detailed information regarding who you can include in your application see including family members in your application.

The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you.​​

Members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.​

Members of your family unit can apply separately until your visa has been decided.

How to apply

This information explains what you need to do to apply for an Investor visa (subclass 891).

You must be in Australia when you lodge your application. Your family can be in or outside Australia.

Prepare your documents

You need to provide documents to prove the claims you make in the application. The documents are listed in the Document checklist.

Some documents could take some time to obtain. You should have them ready when you lodge the application to reduce any delays in processing.

Lodge your application by post

To apply for this visa you must complete:

  • Form 47BU Application for a Business Skills (permanent) visa (933 kB PDF).

Send your completed application by post to the Adelaide office in South Australia - attention Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre. Failure to lodge in this manner may result in your visa application being invalid. You must provide all relevant documents and pay the visa application charge by credit card when you apply.


You can pay by credit card, bank cheque or money order made payable to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

More information

Please refer to preparing your application, for information on:

  • certifying and translating documents into English
  • communicating with us
  • using a migration agent
  • authorising another person to receive information from us
  • receiving assistance with your application.​​​​

If you need help with your application, contact the Adelaide office in South Australia - attention Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre.

After you have applied

After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

Wait for a decision

We have visa processing times for each visa.

Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

In Australia:

If you apply for this visa in Australia, you would be able to get a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for Bridging visa B to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

Provide more information

You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

Report changes in your circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount. If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.​​

Withdrawing your application

​You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

​​​All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.​​​​​​

Visa decision

If the visa is granted, we will let you know:

  • when you can use the visa
  • the visa grant number
  • any conditions attached to the visa.​

If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:

  • why the visa was refused
  • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
  • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

Document checklist

You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

Provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.


  • Form 47BUApplication for Business Skills (permanent) visa (589 kB PDF)
  • Form 927State/Territory notification: Business Skills class (55 kB PDF)


Designated investment

  • Evidence you have held continuously for at least four years, in your name or your partner's name, the designated investment made for the purpose of being granted an Investor (Provisional) visa (subclass 162). If the investment has already matured, the evidence can be in the form of:

    • written or emailed confirmation from the Treasury Corporation
    • bank statements confirming repayment of the amount.

Residence requirement

  • You need to have been a resident in Australia as an Investor (Provisional) visa (subclass 162) holder for a total of at least two years in the four years immediately before the visa application. The two-year period in Australia does not need to be continuous.
  • Evidence to prove where you have resided could include:

    • ownership of residential property

    • residential address

    • rental receipts

    • utilities accounts such as electricity, gas, telephone

    • correspondence addressed to the applicant.

Business or investment record and history

  • Overview of your business or investment activities in Australia. Please provide a short summary of any activities undertaken in Australia in addition to holding the Designated Investment.

Commitment to business and/or your investment activity

  • A one-page summary of your proposed business or investment intentions in Australia in the long-term.
  • Include any investigation undertaken into the Australian business or investment operating environment.

Your identity

  • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • One recent passport sized photograph (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
    • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print the name of the person on the back of the photograph.
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.
  • If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.
  • An AFP National Police Check for you and each member of your family unit aged 17 years or over (whether applying or not) who, in the last 10 years, has been in Australia for 12 months or more since turning 16
  • Police clearances for you and each member of your family unit aged 17 years and over (whether applying or not); from each country where, in the last 10 years, that person has lived for 12 months or more since turning 16.

Your relationships

  • For any member of your family unit included in the application who is 18 years of age or older and is not your partner:
    • Form 47a Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over (238 kB PDF).
  • For each member of your family unit (child) who is not the holder of a Business Skills (Provisional) visa (subclasses 160-165) provide:
    • evidence of dependency if aged 18 or over (such as evidence of current studies)
    • certified copy of adoption or birth certificate or the family book, showing names of both parents or adoptive parents
    • certified copy of the marriage certificate (if applicable).

Your children

  • If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application: documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as:

Visa holders

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

This information is for people who have already been granted an Investor visa (subclass 891). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa status and entitlements.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you to manage your business and investment activities in Australia.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

You and your family are not able to access social security payments.

You can qualify for a Special Benefit payment from Centrelink if you suffer a major change of circumstances that is beyond your control.

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator does not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.